After passing the small village of Drumburgh, a once important terminus of the Solway ford, with its old Manor house built in about 1307 by Robert le Brun and later fortified by Lord Dacre in the 16th century to guard the English end of the Solway, we come to Port Carlisle, it was given the name Port Carlisle in 1821 when the Carlisle Navigation Canal had its dock built at the end of the village. Before the installation of the short lived canal, the place was known as Fishers Cross, but it seems at this time there was a lot of confusion in the naming of this canal port as it was also referred to as Binnacle, or the canal mouth. In view of this name confusion the commitee of the Canal company decided to resolve this issue by officially re-naming the site as Port Carlisle. Once the canal had ran its course (so to speak) in 1853, it was fast replaced by the railway which ran the same line as the old canal on its way to Silloth. During the early 1960s the railway saw its end in the damning Beeching report that was to see a large number of Lines to close up and down the country. There are still some remains of both the railway line and the Canal Docks at Port Carlisle that give an insight into the once lively Port Carlisle.